TO INCREASE A PLAYERS PHYSICAL SKILLS TO ENABLE MUCH BETTER EXECUTION OF THEIR BASEBALL SKILLS.
THESE EXERCISES CAN BE PERFORMED EITHER TWICE OR THREE TIMES A WEEK BUT MUST HAVE A MINIMUM OF 48 HOURS BETWEEN TRAINING SESSIONS. SINCE EXERCISES AND RUNNING IS BEST DONE WHEN ALREADY TIRED AND SINCE MUSCLES NEED RECOVERY TIME WE WILL DO THIS SESSION AT THE END OF THE TUESDAY AND THURSDAY PRACTICE SESSIONS.
THIS DRILL SEQUENCE SHOULD BE DONE IN TWO HOUR OR LESS.
1. DYNAMIC WARMUP
2. LADDER DRILLS - AGILITY
3. CONES DRILLS - AGILITY
4. HURDLES DRILLS
5. FORM RUNNING DRILLS
6. SPEED CHUTE RUNNING
7. EXERCISES FOR MUSCLES
8. ENDURANCE TROTTING - may be done at night at home
DYNAMIC WARMUP - setup cones 20 yds in 5yds segments by 3yds. Exercise in 15, run in 5, return doing next exercise. All speed training exercises are done with weight on fwd part of foot and heels off the ground.
1. ARM CIRCLES - upper body loosing - bounce on toes and shuffle feet slowly fwd / slowly circle arms from front to back keeping elbows as close as can for as long as can / do 2-3 every 5 yds / run 5 yds /repeat using opposite rotation.
2. QUAD WALKS - upper thigh and hip flexor flexibility - step fwd / grab ankle from behind and pull leg backwards / balance on other leg and push hips fwd / release and repeat motion with other leg.
3. SHIN GRABS - flexibility & body control - maintaining an upright posture grab shin and pull deep into chest / hold for one second / all weight on toes / pause at top / release leg / step fwd / repeat with other leg.
4. RUSSIAN WALKS - hamstring flexibility - kick leg straight up as high as can keeping other leg straight in up wright posture / reach out with opposite hand above head height and touch toe / keep leg straight by letting arm move over / keep nose shoulders and hips fwd / repeat with opposite leg.
5. A-SKIPS - rhythm & correct high speed sprinting action - using up wright posture skip on one foot and land on that foot / repeat with other foot / move hands back and fwd with 90 deg bend at elbows / thigh comes up parallel to ground / toes pulled towards the shins / do with rhythm.
6. BKWD OPEN HIP SKIPS - loosens the hips & groin - skip and land on same foot while going backwards / lift thigh parallel to gnd in front of body and rotate it open as they step backwards / image stepping over a fence.
7. OVER AND UNDER THE FENCE - loosen hips and groin for lateral movement and change in direction speed - going laterally to left step over an imaginary fence then step under it / feet don't cross / step as high as possible / step as wide and as low as possible.
8. LUNGE & TWIST - step fwd rt leg and sink down so lt knee is 1 in from gnd / rotate left elbow towards right knee / repeat other leg / do in one motion.
9. INCH WORM - lower back, hips, hamstring flexibility - in push-up position and hands flat and pointed fwd / keeping knees straight walk feet slowly towards hands / walk hands fwd back to original position.
LADDER DRILLS - total body rhythm, coordination and quickness - Do drills slowly in first third, increase speed in next third and fast in last third. Create perfect rhythm and motion. Listen to feet and concentrate on sound and beat. Don't hit ladder.
1. ONE FOOT RUN - one foot in each hole / keep rt elbow and lt knee in sync motion / use snap back of elbow / keep upright posture / front portion of feet on gnd /
2. TWO FEET RUN - same as one foot / both feet in each hole / shorter and faster motions / first lead with rt foot then repeat with left foot lead.
3. LATERAL RUN L& R - same as two feet run only laterally / keep shoulders parallel to ladder / repeat with opposite foot leading.
4. CROSS-COUNTRY SKIER - same as lateral run / lead foot in hole other trail foot outside it and behind / feet switch places and then move one hole down / start to right then repeat to left
5. HOP SCOTCH - put both feet in hole and jump both feet outside second hole of the ladder / move back in to third hole / maintain low center of gravity.
6. STRADDLE HOPS - put one foot in hole and other outside two feet apart / jump across and bring outside foot in to next hole.
7. BUZZ SAW - both feet outside ladder behind first hole in lateral position / step into hole 1 with lead foot then with trail foot / step back lead and trail / go to next hole.
8. ICKY SHUFFLE - start left side ladder hole 1 / step into hole with both feet / step up one hole with rt foot outside ladder / step up to that hole with left foot / bring rt foot into hole / repeat to opposite side of ladder when doing next hole / repeat at faster and faster speeds.
9. JUMP CUTS - both feet in hole / going fwd jump both feet outside ladder even with next hole / jump back into third hole / keep knees bent and be in slightly crouched position / done on left side ladder - can repeat on rt side.
10. CRAZY CLIMER - hopping with constantly swiveling hips / keep feet 18 in separation / both feet hop together / rt foot in hole left outside same hole / jump lt ft into hole 2 / jump rt foot outside hole 2 / jump rt into hole 3 / jump lt outside hole 3 / jump lt into hole 4 / jump rt outside hole 4 / looks like two feet in holes facing sideways then one foot in hole other outside facing fwd then facing other sideways then fwd / pivot on foot inside the ladder.
11. TRAIL WHIP - place lt foot in hole 1 other foot back / step lt into hole 2 then step rt foot cross to left side of hole 1 of ladder / then step lt into hole 3 and step rt to rt side of hole 2 of ladder / step fwd with lt one hole and step rt to opposite side of ladder / left foot hits every hole / keep shoulders square fwd and rotate hips / cross trail leg one hole behind lead foot hole / can repeat with other leg as lead.
1. PRO AGILITY - two lines of cones 3 yds wide and 5 yds apart with cone in middle of end lines 10 yds apart ( 4 cones per line + 2 ) - face front line in low position / run and touch end cone / run to other end cone / run back to original end plus 5 yds / Stay low.
2. THREE CONE - place 3 cones in ' L ' shape at 5 yds - run from cone 1 and touch cone 2 / back to 1 / around cone 2 outside and 3 inside and back to cone 1 /
3. LINEAR W-SPRINT - cones 5 yds wide and 5 yds apart in form of 'W' ( use 7 or 9 cones) - start at cone 1 and back peddle past cone 2 / go past and change direction till reach cone 3 / repeat /
4. LATERAL W-SLIDE - same as above cones- facing inward slide from cone 1 to cone2 - sliding with left lead foot / around cone and slide with right lead foot / repeat lt then rt / change direction quickly and stay low.
5. LATERAL W-SPRINT - 2 cone start w then repeat of cone2 10 yds away then continue w - slide from 1 to 2 then sprint to 3 / slide from 3 to 4 / sprint etc.
6. FIGURE EIGHT DRILL - construct 2 circles 5 yd diameter of 6 cones in figure 8 - start at top of intersecting circles facing center and shuffle around circle / go around second circle facing away back to starting point.
NOTE: LATERAL MOVEMENT SHOULD BE DONE IN READY POSITION BUT A LITTLE LOWER IF NECESSARY. FIRST MOVE GETS LEAD FOOT GREATER THAN SHOULDER WIDTH / TO MOVE LATERALLY PULL OFF LEAD FOOT AND MOVE TRAIL FOOT A STEP / THEN PUSH OFF TRAIL FOOT AND TAKE STEP WITH LEAD FOOT.
OPTIONAL DRILL: USE RESISTOR CORD TO TIE LEGS TOGETHER AND MOVE LATERALLY 15 YDS MULTIPLE TIMES. MAY CHOOSE TO USE LEG RESISTORS WHEN DOING THE ABOVE LATERAL DRILLS.
HURDLE DRILL - speed improvement
Form sprinters leg drill - in slow motion do sprinters leg sprinting - see below.
1. SPRINT PROGRESSION - for better stride length - level 1 : place hurdles at 6" height one walking stride apart - sprint thru hurdles leading with left leg with both feet landing between each hurdle - get thigh almost parallel to ground as drive knee up and over the hurdle / turn quickly and repeat drill / sprint an additional 10 yds at full speed / repeat entire drill leading with the right leg. Level 2 : place hurdles at two strides - repeat above drill without any additional steps. Level 2a : place first 3 hurdles at one stride and other 2 at two strides - repeat above drill. Level 3 : place hurdles at 4 strides - repeat drill. Level 3a : place 3 cones at 1 stride, 1 cone at 2 strides, 2 hurdles at 2 strides, 3 cones at 4 strides - repeat drill in one direction only. Note place 2 cones 10 yds before the hurdles to measure the run.
2. FRONT BACK HOPS - using one hurdle at 6 and/or 12" hop over hurdle with both feet together - move arms at 90 deg in sync - do as many hops at any speed as can / do as many hops quickly for 1 minute / may repeat quickly for longer than minute.
3. FRONT BACK HOPS ON ONE LEG - same drill as above on one leg using 6" hurdle only / repeat other leg.
4. HURDLE MAZE - set up maze 1: vertical, hor to lt, vert in line, hor to rt, vert in line / maze 2 : vert, hor to rt , vert at rt end, hor to rt, vert online. - hop with both feet together facing fwd thru maze / turn and go back / repeat using maze2 / (LRLLRL / RRLLRR)
5. DEAD LEG - put 12" hurdles 2 ft apart - put one foot inside hurdles and one outside / sprint thru hurdles with lead foot and drag back foot. / dead leg slides with leg straight and knee locked and keep behind lead leg with weight on front of dead leg foot / Thigh must be parallel to ground knee at 90 deg and toe pointed at shin (sprinters leg) / Knee and foot pass over the hurdle at the same time / Lead leg then claws at gnd and strikes under hips and pulls you fwd / upright position and synced arm movement. / repeat with other leg as lead.
6. ICKY SHUFFLE - set up two line of hurdles vertically and staggered -
7. LATERAL HOPS - same as front hops only laterally using 12" hurdles. Quickness off gnd / repeat one leg hop laterally / repeat one leg hop with other leg.
8. RUN INS - 12" hurdles at 3ft separation - start 10 yds before first - using sprinter leg position sprint at full speed into hurdles - one leg leads - all leg action in front of body in upright position - all body wt on front of feet with full arm action / repeat other leg as lead leg / step lead leg over hurdle then step other foot over /
9. STRADDLE HOPS - place hurdles in 2 lines vertically staggered - straddle first hurdle / jump over next hurdle with both feet at same time straddling each hurdle / go thru and turn to go thru again.
10. BACKWARD STRADDLE HOPS - repeat above drill going backwards /
1. RUN FROM HOME PLATE TO FIRST BASE (30yds) AT FULL SPEED
2. RUN GETTING THIGHS PARALLEL TO GND - GET KNEES UP
3. RUN KICKING YOUR ASS WITH HEELS
4. RUN TAKING AS BIG A STRIDE AS CAN
5. RUN COMBINING ALL THESE ASPECTS OF RUNNING.
1. LINEAR RUN. - put chute belt around your waist. partner holds chute in open position. Run at full speed from home plate to first base. Do 4 by 30 yds. Build up to 4x40 / 5x50 / 6x60 over 6 weeks. Advanced sequence: 4x50 / 5x60 / 6x70 over 6 weeks.
2. BACK PEDAL. - set chute in front of body. Do 2x10 / 3x15 / 4x20 over 6 weeks. Advanced: 2x20 / 3x20 / 4x30 over 6 weeks.
1. PUSH-UP POSITION LOW STOMACH CRAWLING
2. PUSH-UPS / PUSH-UPS ON KNEES
5. more to be determined
PLAYER RUNS AT SPEED OF HIS CHOICE CONTINUOUSLY FOR 40 MINUTES. START FOR AS LONG AS CAN. FIRST 20 MINUTES DOES NOT PRODUCE ANY CARDIOVASCULAR GAIN. BUILD UP TO 40 MIN MINIMUM AND THEN ADD MORE TIME.
DRILL DONE EVERY DAY EITHER AT END PRACTICE OR AT NIGHT AT HOME.